– About 2% of the US workforce receives compensation for back injuries annually.
– On a yearly basis, the annual prevalence of back pain averages 30% and once you have back pain the likelihood of recurrence is high.
– 70-85% of all people have back pain that requires treatment at some time in their lives.
– Back pain is the most common cause of activity limitation in people less than 45 years of age.
– Back pain is the second most frequent reason for physician visits, the 5th ranking reason for hospital admissions, and the 3rd most common cause for surgical procedures.
– Similar statistics exist for other countries, including the UK and Sweden.